The BEAR Multi-Stakeholder Report on Beverage Container Recycling
In 2000, a group of companies, government agencies, and environmental organizations interested in bottle and can recycling convened to research and produce a report on comparative beverage container recycling programs in the United States. Operating under the name Businesses and Environmentalists Allied for Recycling (BEAR), they hired a team of consultants to undertake an objective analysis of the state of U.S. beverage container recycling, and of the costs and success rates of various recycling systems. They also facilitated discussions among the diverse stakeholders over a 2 year period.
The result was the report, “Understanding Beverage Container Recovery: A Value Chain Assessment Prepared for the Multi-Stakeholder Recovery Project (MSRP), Stage 1.” Businesses and Environmentalists Allied for Recycling (BEAR), a Project of Global Green USA, January 16, 2002.
(Stage 2 of the MSRP, an action plan aimed at increasing recycling rates, never materialized due to the failure of the group to reach consensus.)
Among the report’s findings was that in 1999, a combination of recycling methods operating in the nation’s 10 deposits states recycled 490 containers per capita, while the nation's 40 non-deposit states (relying on curbsides and drop-offs) recycled 191 containers per capita.
Use the links below to download the BEAR report, and to read CRI and others’ commentary on it.
Read the BEAR Report:
- Executive Summary (PDF, ~349Kb)
Statements and Releases on the BEAR Report:
- Jan 16, 2002 - Container Recycling Institute Statement (PDF, ~17Kb)
- Jan 16, 2002 - GrassRoots Recycling Network Statement (PDF, ~230Kb)
- Jan 16, 2002 - Container Recycling Institute/GrassRoots Recycling Network Release (PDF, ~43Kb)
- Jan 16, 2002 - California Department of Conservation Release (PDF, ~39Kb)
- Jan 16, 2002 - National Soft Drink Association (NSDA) Release (PDF, ~39Kb)
- Critique of Report Commissioned by NSDA (PDF, ~25Kb)
- Feb 7, 2002 - BEAR Response to NSDA Release (PDF, ~141Kb)
- Feb 7, 2002 - BEAR Response to NSDA Critique (PDF, ~242Kb)
- Feb 20, 2002 - Container Recycling Institute Response to NSDA Critique (PDF, ~34Kb)
- Jan 25, 2002 - Congresswoman Rivers Release (PDF, ~650Kb)
- Feb 8, 2002 - NSDA Release (PDF, ~7Kb)